[CSTM] How to view PSD files in Thumbnail in Explorer

45 replies to this topic

#1 Singh400

.rawr / .android.whore

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

For a while now my sister has been badgering me about how she can't see PSD thumbnails - when she can see BMP, JPG, PNG etc etc quite easily. So I've finally decided to fix it, and I thought I would share it.

After some googling, I found that you need a reg file and a dll file to make this work. Don't worry I've included everything you need in the following RAR file - make sure to read it's Readme.txt.

<old link removed>

My sister is using Adobe Photoshop CS2, and all the files made in CS2 (and below) are viewable through Explorer using this tweak.

If the above link doesn't work, then use this one:

Attached File  PSD_Thumbnail_Explorer.rar   56.19K   5306 downloads

#2 ahanix1989

Royal Family Member

• Sponsors
  • 2928 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:14 AM

Thanks SO much for this :D

#3 TheWahbinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:41 AM

I didn't even think this was possible, now I don't have to open up PS to view them B)

#4 quantumAlpha

You can sleep when you're dead.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2260 posts
  • Interests:computers (no duh), A/V gear and recording, Quake 3 Arena, music, and other stuff i cant remember

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:15 AM

THANK YOU!

#5 Sinbad

I AM NOT FOD.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5239 posts
  • Interests:Case modding, hardware, games, networks, imports, music

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

This work for the built in image viewing app? I hate thumbnail view.

#6 Singh400

.rawr / .android.whore

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

No problem people.

@Sinbad, I just checked, and no sorry it doesn't work with the built-in image app in xp. You could always use this tweak in conjunction with TweakUI - to increase the size of the thumbnails.

#7 shooter468

Demonic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:32 PM

Thanx alot
this is really very helpful :)

#8 XP_2600

Version 5.1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

Thanks man, i couldnt get it working earlier, i think i edited registry wrong.

#9 Matt Silver007

n00b

• Rookies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hi There, first post!

Well i too was wondering why i couldn't see Thumbnails in CS/CS2, but it turns out this is the explaination why

Information posted from Adobe devs in their Photoshop forums indicate that the dll was removed because a "flaw" with the Windows API made it impossible for them to fix a bug that caused a crash for some people when trying to save a file while it's preview was being displayed somewhere onscreen.

I did also Search on google, found the instructions to fix the registry, downloaded the "psicon.dll" and installed it,
while i can now veiw thumbnails, there is one problem....

I dont know anything about the Windows Resistry or how it works, but using the registry fixes to enable thumbnails appears to do 2 things
1. Enables the .dll in windows explorer so it can make the thumbnails
2. Re-assigns all the PSD icons from their Deafult New CS2/CS PSD icons (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Photoshop.exe,1)
to the old Photoshop 7 PSD Icon which is contained within "psicon.dll"

i personly dont like the Photoshop 7 Icons, but love having the thumbnails... , you only see the PS7 icon when Explorer is in "List" or "details" veiw, all others are actual thumbnail previews of the actual PSD file, i was wondering if anyone would know how to edit this Registry fix, or what/how to edit in the regestry, to change icons for PSD files back to the CS2 Icons... yet still having thumbnails
that or how to replace icons inside .dll files...
however, it may be so that the "psicon.dll" has the Thumbnail option and PS7 icon built into eachother... meaning you cant have one without the other.... but i dont know anything about it

#10 projectx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

for those who dont like the photoshop 7 icon,
this is the dll with the icons replaced, there are 2 version, the cs version and the cs2 version, so it matches all the other picture icons, hope im allowed to post this.
this file only has the dll's, so if need the reg file u should download the other one too, and follow the instructions

Attached Files

#11 Matt Silver007

n00b

• Rookies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:42 PM

View Postprojectx, on Oct 29 2005, 18:14, said:

for those who dont like the photoshop 7 icon,
this is the dll with the icons replaced, there are 2 version, the cs version and the cs2 version, so it matches all the other picture icons, hope im allowed to post this.
this file only has the dll's, so if need the reg file u should download the other one too, and follow the instructions

Thanks alot! however i did kind fix this myself..

after googling i found a program called Iconcool, its not free, but the demo version alows editing and saveing, so i was able to edit the icons contained inside the .dll... but since i only had CS2 i could only do CS2 icons, so its great that you've done CS icons aswell

#12 XP_2600

Version 5.1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

Btw, you can extract and replace the icons inside libraries using Microangelo Trial Version

Edited by XP_2600, 30 October 2005 - 04:13 PM.

#13 projectx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:02 AM

all i used was reshacker, which is free, took a bit of time looking for the icons in the exe's but lucky they were the second icon sets in the programs, so it was a quick find, then used the same program to replace em in the dll.

#14 Singh400

.rawr / .android.whore

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

I didnt change any icons, I can still see the cs2 icons. :\

#15 Singh400

.rawr / .android.whore

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:11 AM

Just a quick heads up. This trick works in Windows Vista too.

smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users