- - - - -

[WIN] 640x480 in Windows XP

9 replies to this topic

#1 MaximRecoil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:38 AM

Is there a way to quickly access 640x480 in XP? A shortcut or batch file of some sort would be nice, but even having it show up on the slider bar in Display Properties > Settings would be better than nothing. It is a pain going through Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > List All Modes just to switch to 640x480 in XP.

Edited by MaximRecoil, 09 January 2006 - 07:39 AM.

#2 aoa2005

n00b

• Rookies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

why would you want 640x480 in win xp??

if its just a game that just NEEEEEDS 640x480, go to the properties of that program and select "Run in 640x480 Screen Resolution"

i mean i always used 1024 reso @ 15" perhaps some 1 uses 800x600 @ 15" but 640x480@win xp?? you sure you got the right os?

Edited by aoa2005, 09 January 2006 - 11:49 AM.

#3 MaximRecoil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

why would you want 640x480 in win xp??

I knew I'd get that question...

Not that it is relevant to my question, but to satisfy your curiosity, I use 640x480 when watching lower resolution video files on my PC, because it allows the video to fill the screen more, without applying a resizing filter to it. And with video clips that are 640x480 to start with, you get full screen natively without any effects from the resizing process.

I would like access to as low as 320x240 resolution in Windows if I could find a video card that would allow it. Then I could watch all those 320x240 video clips floating around out there in full screen without having to resize them; i.e. in their native resolution.

#4 Kal-El

B.P.P.

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4918 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

What videocard do you have? ATI and Nvidia cards have have tray icons that can be used to quickly switch between resolutions.

If you have a different video card, use powerstrip to get the job done.

#5 MaximRecoil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

View PostBig POPPA Pump, on Jan 9 2006, 12:50, said:

What videocard do you have? ATI and Nvidia cards have have tray icons that can be used to quickly switch between resolutions.

If you have a different video card, use powerstrip to get the job done.

That used to be a good feature of the ATI tray icon, but the last version I was using only went down to 800x600. The version that I used previous to that (about 2 years ago or more) went down to 640x480 straight from the single-click context menu and that was great. I'm currently not even running the ATI thing, as I recently reinstalled Windows and the default drivers work just fine, so, until I actually need to use a feature of the ATI utility, I'm not bothering with it. Plus, I don't want to run a really old version of it just to get the single click menu that has 640x480.

I would prefer not to have to run anything extra for something like this. You would think there would be a registry entry that could be changed at the very least, to allow 640x480 to show up on the slider bar in Display Properties > Settings. I mean, it certainly has the capability to display there under special circumstances, such as when you are already in 640x480. Of course, once you slide it to something higher, and then go back, the 640x480 option is gone.

Also, there must be a way to make a file that can call up 640x480 just by running it, I mean, there are games that automatically switch resolutions when they start up, as well as graphics driver utilities like the ATI one that can switch resolutions; what code do they use? what calls are made?

#6 Kal-El

B.P.P.

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4918 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

You cannot make a video file run in 640*480 without any third party app. The other option would be run the media player in 640*480 in which case it's gonna be universal and thus cannot be changed for video files with diff resolutions.

#7 MaximRecoil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

View PostBig POPPA Pump, on Jan 9 2006, 13:42, said:

You cannot make a video file run in 640*480 without any third party app. The other option would be run the media player in 640*480 in which case it's gonna be universal and thus cannot be changed for video files with diff resolutions.

Well, I just wanted a way to quickly switch to 640x480 without anything constantly running just for that. I found something that is doing the trick though, and doesn't need to be running in the systray - http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enh...n-Changer.shtml

I put the exe in the system path, and then made a batch file like:

reschange.exe -width=640 -height=480 -depth=32 -refresh=75

And then I put the batch file in Quick Launch named as "640x480.bat"

I made another one to quickly go back to my normal resolution too. It works perfectly.

#8 Singh400

.rawr / .android.whore

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

(Y) Nice little tool, thanks for the heads up.

#9 MaximRecoil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

View PostSingh400, on Jan 9 2006, 14:35, said:

(Y) Nice little tool, thanks for the heads up.

It lets me get to 320x240 too. That is awesome. I can't get even do that through Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > List All Modes. I knew that my card supported that mode, because I have seen NES emulators call it up before. I was a bit wary of trying it though, but then I read this from the download page:

Normally, ResChange will prevent you from using a mode that is not supported by your video card and monitor. You can use the -force switch to use an unsupported video mode. Please be aware that you can damage your video card or monitor by using an unsupported mode. 12noon assumes no responsibility or liability for your use of ResChange.

So I figured that as long as I wasn't using the -force switch, then it wouldn't let me do it anyway if it wasn't supported. Well it works fine. 320x240 sounds incredibly low in the context of a PC resolution, but you have to remember, a standard resolution TV and VHS and whatnot, are right in that ballpark, so 320x240 video which normally you have to squint at in a tiny window on your PC, you can watch fullscreen in its native resolution with no stretching. 512x384 works too, which is good because I backed up my Sledge Hammer! 1st season DVD episodes at that resolution (XviD). Very cool if you ask me.

#10 Kal-El

B.P.P.

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4918 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

Well, I am glad everything worked out for you. I will keep this tool in mind in case I do come across a similar position. Thanks for the heads up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users