Max. resolution from S-Video PC to TV?

4 replies to this topic

#1 chimericalone

backslash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

If my notebook has an S-video port, what is the maximum resolution I can output to a 720p LCD TV? (for the purpose of playing high res. video files)

The max. resolution of the notebook is either 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

#2 Illrigger

War Hulk

• Global Mods
  • 6953 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Networks, Pen-and-Paper RPGs, Home Theater, Movies, Music

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (chimericalone @ Jul 11 2007, 01:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If my notebook has an S-video port, what is the maximum resolution I can output to a 720p LCD TV? (for the purpose of playing high res. video files)

The max. resolution of the notebook is either 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

You can output at whatever res your notebook will support. However, text won't be readable, even at 800x600. Your TV will still be rendering at 480i, and SVideo outputs at most 400 lines of interlaced resolution.

In other words your "high-res" video files might look a little better than analog cable, but probably not.

#3 chimericalone

backslash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

So regardless of having a 720p TV, S-video will limit rendering at 480i?

Is there another way to output a higher resolution from the computer to the TV?

#4 Illrigger

War Hulk

• Global Mods
  • 6953 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Networks, Pen-and-Paper RPGs, Home Theater, Movies, Music

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (chimericalone @ Jul 11 2007, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So regardless of having a 720p TV, S-video will limit rendering at 480i?

Is there another way to output a higher resolution from the computer to the TV?

HDTVs are digital, and SVideo is analog. If you send an analog signal to a digital TV, it's effectively turning it into an analog TV. Your TV will have some capability to convert the analog signal into a digital one so it can be displayed, but the low-res input will limit what it can do - there's only so much cleanup anything can do to a signal that's effectively 400 lines high. (I say effectively because analog signals are rated differently than digital ones, and while SVideo can do 400 vertical lines of resolution, that's not really the same as 400 pixels of vertical resolution on an HDTV.)

The only way you'll get a higher resolution is if your output is a progressive scan component video, or a pure digital source like DVI or HDMI.

#5 chimericalone

backslash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Oh I see. Thanks! That was very informative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users