Cloud music storage - Google Music vs Amazon Cloud Drive

1 reply to this topic

#1 Chugworth

Chugworth

• Global Mods
  • 7379 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

A few months ago Amazon launched their Cloud music storage service. You get 5GB of free music storage. Subscriptions are available, and if you make a music purchase through Amazon, you get 20GB free for one year. I tried it Amazon's service and it was interesting. You could stream your music through the web browser or an Android phone.
http://www.amazon.co...node=2658409011

Google just recently launched their cloud music service also, and yesterday I got an invite.
http://music.google.com

I've been trying Google Music out, and I think it runs circles around the Amazon service. First of all, storage is not an issue - at least for me anyway. The limit is based on the number of tracks instead of the storage size, and you can store 20000 tracks. There's a little uploading program that runs on the background on your computer, and when you add music to a certain folder it automatically gets uploaded. What I really like about the Google service is that it offers much better features for arranging the tracks. With Amazon you have to depend on them to sort the music for you, and the results are not always accurate. With Google you can edit the track and album information and specify which tracks go under which album. You can even upload an album picture if it does not have one already.

Another advantage that Google has is the ability to handle FLAC music. With Amazon you would have to manually convert these tracks to MP3 before you upload them, but when Google sees FLAC music it will automatically upload it as 320kbps MP3.

ZrNhKcxBbZo

I've only been playing with Google Music for a few hours, and I'm still in the process of uploading the majority of my music (which may take quite a while). But so far I really like the service. It's too bad they weren't able to make a deal with the crooked record companies to sell music also. Maybe they will eventually.

#2 cork1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

With bandwidth caps in place, the last thing I need to do is upload all my music and other things to a cloud, especially Googles eye in the sky (and everything else).

Defintiely would not want it doing that automatically either (I HATE anything automatic)

Although actually fairly decent sounding, not a thing for me.

Have used Amazons crap once though and man, does that suck!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users