dX9DnYx884I

I just started the download... And the damn thing is 21GB! :o

#2 Danthe

Tide of Terminus

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

Tell me what you think of the game. You usually have sanity in anything games-related, so I trust your opinion. I'm not sure at all whether to buy it or not...

#3 Chugworth

Chugworth

• Global Mods
  • 7379 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostDanthe, on 06 October 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

Tell me what you think of the game. You usually have sanity in anything games-related, so I trust your opinion. I'm not sure at all whether to buy it or not...
Well so far I have about seven hours into the game. Basically how the game works is you get your missions from the towns or outposts, then drive to your destination in the wasteland. The destinations are pretty standard FPS gameplay - but I think that's what the game does best.

The PC version has had some technical issues. At first it was about unplayable on my AMD card due to all the graphics corruption. But AMD quickly released a fixed driver specifically for RAGE. And today I see they have an even newer one (available here). I'll have to try it. But anyways, with the fixed drivers I was still having an image tearing issue (like you'd usually see when VSYNC is not enabled). But I found a command line fix for that. Then there was also an issue with low-quality textures. Someone released a config file which is supposed to improve that, and I think it does. But still I often see objects up close with textures so grainy that it looks like something from the late 90's. I think this engine has it backwards - distant textures seem to be higher quality than close-up textures. Speaking of the engine, it seems the way it works is that its only texturing objects that are on the screen. If you make a quick turn, you often see the landscape quickly get textured. It makes you feel like you're in Google Earth or something - and that kind of takes away from the immersion. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the engine.

But as far as the game itself goes, the story is kind of dull. It has some music, but I can't really say how good the music is because I'm not paying attention to it - I'm too focused on the FPS action. The FPS gameplay is fun. It's pretty standard gameplay, but its still fun. Now is it $59 fun? Heh, well........

I might post some more thoughts about the game later on.

#4 RobertCraven

Whee!

• Global Mods
  • 17134 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

I liked the 5 Inch Floppy episode about Rage a lot http://www.gamearena...tails.php/61201 I believe they described it quite well.

I'm still planning to buy Rage, but I'll do so retail, to avoid the download. I'll probably wait a few months too, because I'm still pretty positive that they will patch it quite good, so I won't play it before that. I have no shortage of good games as it is.

#5 Danthe

Tide of Terminus

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Well, I got the game shortly after posting, simply because I'm impatient and curious!

I think the game is quite fun so far, a few hours into it. The graphics are very disappointing though, with all the hype about it for the past few years - it's pretty but it looks like Doom III on steroids which isn't exactly a compliment given today's standards. It's very plastic and lacks "bumpy" surfaces. I don't know if it's OpenGL that can't compete with DirectX or if this new technology is already old, but well...

The sound is quite nice, and the feeling of the guns is great! I agree with you, I think the FPS gameplay is where the fun is. I must say I enjoy the characters too, they are fun.

Overall, I find it's a blend of Fallout and Borderlands without any of the freedom, because let's face it, Rage really isn't free at all but quite linear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users