• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Chugworth

Chugworth

• Global Mods
  • 7379 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:06 AM

I get the Steam game release news feed in Google Reader. Most of the time the releases are stuff that I don't really care about, so I just sort of mindlessly scroll through it. But once in a while some new game release catches my eye. About two months ago, I scrolled through this news post about an alternate costume pack for a Street Fighter game. Now in my mind, fighting games are all for consoles, so the title saying "Street Fighter" didn't register with me. But glancing at the screenshots, I thought: "Chun-Li... On the PC??"

Apparently a PC version of Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition was released in early July. In fact, a PC version of the original Street Fighter IV had been released back in 2009. This interested me, because fighting games are something I haven't been in to in a long time. The last fighting games that I spent any time with were Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Samurai Shodown, from back in the SNES era.

After conducting some research on YouTube, I made the purchase. And now, about two months later, Steam shows that I've spent 35 hours in the game. I guess that qualifies it as an enjoyable game! :blink:

But unlike my usual games, I don't spend about two or three days glued to the screen, beat the game, and that's that. Some days I play this for an hour or so, and some days I don't. This is a game that you can just sit down and play for a while whenever you feel like it.

The game's default keyboard controls are a joke. Fighting games, as always, don't play well with the keyboard/mouse. I bought a Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, and its controls are great. But the wireless reception is not the best. I'm thinking of getting the wired version of that controller.

Anyways, the game looks great at 1920x1200, plays well, and is a lot of fun. The sound and music are really good - but one minor complaint is how the dynamic music sometimes jumps around during a fight. The story... Well, remember that this is a fighting game, so the story is not important. But it does have one! Sort of... I think the game makes up for that with its humor and imagination.

I never would have pictured myself buying a game like this and enjoying it. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I ended up buying the costume pack add-on also! :lol:

Here's some various gameplay videos from YouTube, to give an idea of how it plays:

F25gjaYhmGE 5jKzf_AdekA
wLnSv7UJWAg Yhl9usY7O8E

35 hours well spent, that's for sure! :lol:

And more to come.... :mellow:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users