- - - - -

Windows 8 Any Takers?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Phonics Monkey

Custom member title

• Moderators
  • 3191 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thought I'd try to start something ... So... Anybody (else) out there using Windows 8?

#2 DJP

Geocacher

• Administrators
  • 6245 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hi, i'm running it but with startisback and 7sidebar installed. The perfomance is awesome.

#3 Chugworth

Chugworth

• Global Mods
  • 7379 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostDJP, on 28 December 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Hi, i'm running it but with startisback and 7sidebar installed. The perfomance is awesome.
lol... I wonder how many Windows 8 users have Start menu replacements. :rolleyes:

It seems kind of funny that the last time I talked about Windows 8 on ieXbeta was over a year ago. Back then I was looking at the developer preview, and I was somewhat optimistic because I assumed it was about the quality of an alpha build, and the interface would have major overhauls before the final product. I was really disappointed when the consumer preview came out and very little had changed with the interface design. I don't know what Microsoft's interface designers were thinking (or if they were thinking at all). Let's just assume the role of an average clueless user. How do you find basic things such as reboot or logoff? You can't just sit down and see where everything is. There's so much crap that pops in with various gestures, and a real disconnect between the two separate interfaces that they've forced together. Metro-style apps may be fine for touchscreen devices, but they are silly when you're using a keyboard and mouse.

But anyways, yes, I'm running Windows 8 on my computers at home and work. I replaced Windows 7 around the time of the release preview. I would say that the "under the hood" type of changes in Windows 8 are good. It runs well and seems very fast (especially with my awesome new SSD drive). Once I get to the desktop, I'm fine. My commonly used applications are pinned on the taskbar, and I rarely need to access the Start screen. I don't use a Start menu replacement app because I don't want to become dependent on such a thing. The desktop is a little uglier with the lack of Aero and the square edges, but it's not that big of a deal.

My real concern is deploying this where I work. I dove in back with Windows Vista... But Windows 8... I'm not looking forward to it. Windows 7 is running just fine I think... :mellow:

#4 Pi Is A Rational

Banned Members

• Sponsors
  • 1557 posts
  • Interests:Betas, ROMs, OCing, Lame Music

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I took one look at the UI and heard the start menu is going away and ran for the hills.

I'm still mostly using Windows XP, btw. :S

#5 Chugworth

Chugworth

• Global Mods
  • 7379 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostPi Is A Rational, on 29 December 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

I took one look at the UI and heard the start menu is going away and ran for the hills.

XP is 11 years old, you know. It's funny... Back in the early days of ieXbeta, if I had thought of 11 years prior, I would have remembered running DOS. :P

We still have quite a few XP computers where I work, and I'll be glad when we finally get rid of them. I know there's been a lot of hate against Windows Vista, but I'd definitely choose it over XP.

#6 potterface

A Dyslexic walked into a bra...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4243 posts
  • Interests:The internet.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm still on 7 at home and work uses XP. I'm enjoying 7 but still open to 8, but like Chug said, I think it would be a little silly as I am using the "old-fashioned" keyboard/mouse setup. Although an app on my phone or iPod touch would give me a trackpad...

#7 jaycalderwood

Why me? Why me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Eh... Some of my needed applications don't work with it, and I dispise the interface. However, it is time to start migrating my Win2k3 servers to SLES :)

View PostChugworth, on 30 December 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

View PostPi Is A Rational, on 29 December 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

XP is 11 years old, you know. It's funny... Back in the early days of ieXbeta, if I had thought of 11 years prior, I would have remembered running DOS. :P

We still have quite a few XP computers where I work, and I'll be glad when we finally get rid of them. I know there's been a lot of hate against Windows Vista, but I'd definitely choose it over XP.

Most of my machines are XP. I hope this year I can get new machines and push them to 7... However, we need to make more money first :)

#8 Pi Is A Rational

Banned Members

• Sponsors
  • 1557 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

The biggest thing with me is that Vista seems to need fairly beefier specs to run snappy. The slow transfer speeds of copy and paste/move through the UI is an issue too.

My wife's laptop has Vista on it and all it does is piss me off. I'd rather stick with XP.

However, I did test for 7 and it was fun. There's a boxed copy somewhere around here of 7. Maybe I should get a computer going with it again someday. :S

#9 madTaMsKi

tehmad1

• Retired Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts
  • Interests:Burdz!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

I tried 8 (on a virtual machine), performance was OK, but the GUI on a feckin 24 inch non-touchscreen monitor looked fucking hideous (and stupid).

I then thought, 'Surely MS would have put in the option to turn this crap off?'

They didn't, so I thought 'fuck ya Win8, back to 7, I'll give this one a miss until 9!'

Bunch of crap.

#10 cork1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Man, this could of been a killer flame bait topic, but with as little use/traffic as this site gets now a days, next to nothing here!

First time I've been here since I can't even remember.

Regardless, no taker here for Windows 8. In fact, that crap help me migrate a couple of my machines to Linux full time. Windows 7 on the other 6 machines. It runs to good and is still modern enough to do anything I want them to do.

#11 Pi Is A Rational

Banned Members

• Sponsors
  • 1557 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

:S

#12 alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Sad, but true - ASUS made X551MA notebook, where can be installed ONLY W8 OS (MS products are meant...)

Hate this OS, as it was with Vista.

Good, there are many other notebook manufacturers, so, can sell those - with W7 installed ;0)

P.S. Lenovo is my favourite, but my client chose to buy ASUS...

View PostmadTaMsKi, on 01 May 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

I tried 8 (on a virtual machine), performance was OK, but the GUI on a feckin 24 inch non-touchscreen monitor looked fucking hideous (and stupid).

I then thought, 'Surely MS would have put in the option to turn this crap off?'

They didn't, so I thought 'fuck ya Win8, back to 7, I'll give this one a miss until 9!'

Bunch of crap.

madTaMsKi - like always - ur wright!!!

+1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users